WATCH RATI’S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
For most people living in urban areas and metro cities, fast food has more or less become a part of daily diet. We consume fast food in one way or the other on a daily basis. Since cooking at home needs a bit of planning and prep, we cite lack of time to eat out at fast food joints such as McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Subway, etc. But compared to western countries, we Indians consume just a fraction of junk food, but then it’s too unhealthy too. Do you know the crazy side effects that eating fast food. In this post, we tell you about 7 things you didnt know about fast food.
1. It Effects Digestive System: our favourite fast food come loaded with carbohydrates and empty calories with almost zero fiber. When your digestive system breaks down the food, the carbs are converted into the bloodstream as sugar which in turn triggers insulin spikes. Eating junk food on a daily basis can lead to insulin resistance and push you to being a pre-diabetic and from there, the journey to being a diabetic is very quick. Frequent consumption of such high amounts of carbs can spike up your in your blood sugar levels which can cause insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, and rapid weight gain. I’m sticking to daal chawal forever!
2. Too much sugar and sodium content: Did you know that most fast-food meals have hidden sugar and sodium content in them. They come loaded with calories and provide little to zero nutrition. According to American Heart Association (AHA), an average person needs 100 to 150 calories of added sugar per day, which makes around about six to nine teaspoons. Hold on! but most sodas contain around contains 8 teaspoons of sugar, which takes it up to 140 calories, 39 grams of sugar, and zero nutrition. So, if you pick up a soda or an aerated drink, you have to skip all other sources of sugar, even natural through the day, not even from fruit. So, think twice before you grab a soda.
3. Trans fats can make you fat: Transfat of any amount is not good or healthy for the body. Consuming foods that contain trans fat can increase your bad cholesterol and reduce your good cholesterol, thereby increasing your chance of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Trans fat is a fat created during food processing and it’s commonly found in French fries, pastries, pizza, crackers, cookies, biscuits, and baked foods, not to mention in fast food.
4. Beware of sodium content: The food that you picked up from your nearest fast food joint may not taste salty but mind you, it’s may be full of sodium. According to a survey, about 90 percent of adults underestimate the amount of sodium in their fast-food meals. The fast food meal has a combination of sugar, fat and lots of sodium (salt) and is the reason why fast food tastes a lot better than homecooked food. High sodium content will cause water retention, make you feel heavy, puffy, and bloated. A diet that contains too much sodium is also completely not advisable for people with night blood pressure. Sodium can increase blood pressure and stress on heart and cardiovascular system.
5. Effects respiratory system: Calories in such high number can cause weight gain which may lead to obesity and lifestyle-related diseases. Obesity can cause respiratory problems like asthma and shortness of breath. One would find it difficult to breathe, climb stairs, and to even walk with high calories in the system. According to a study, children who eat fast food at least three times a week are more likely to develop asthma.
6. Effects Reproductive System: This is getting scarier! The ingredients in junk food and fast food may have an adverse effect on your fertility. According to a study, it was found that fast food have a high amount of phthalates and mono sodium glutamate. Phthalates and MSG can interrupt and play havoc with hormones in your body. Such chemicals can lead to infertility and birth defects in progeny.
7. Effects the skin: If you want clear and healthy skin, you should probably not even touch fast food. Healthy food would give nutrition to your body, skin and hair. The food that you consume is responsible for your skin’s health. Our grandmothers have always blamed greasy, oily food for acne breakouts, but according to a study conducted by Mayo Clinic, the main culprit is carbohydrate. Food rich in carbs leads to blood sugar spikes, and these sudden changes in blood sugar levels can trigger acne, If you really want to stay away from acne, watch what you eat!
We are not against fast foods, the whole idea is to make people aware of lesser known side effects of our favourite meals. Indulging in fast food once a while is okay, but avoid frequent trips to your favorite fast food joint. Hope this article helps you to stay fit and healthy.